The following websites and books provide helpful information to veterans.
We have a DOD Military USB Common Access CAC Smart Card Reader for you to use here at the library.
Need to write your resume? Click here.resume template
Books @ Herrin City Library
Assistive Technology for Injured Military Veterans This guide offers a comprehensive overview of the most common disabilities that military personnel acquire, and offers ideas and available resources for modifications and adaptive technology equipment that can help them adjust and reestablish their home life, career, and future. This guide also provides information on available financial assistance, and additional resources for service members and their families.
DVA Handbook of Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents (PDF)
This is a handbook of information on veteran’s benefits, including healthcare, pensions, life insurance and education and training.
Helmets to Hard Hats:connects quality men and women from the Armed Forces with promising building and construction careers.
Hiring Our Heroes: a nationwide initiative to help veterans, transitioning service members, and military spouses find meaningful employment opportunities.
All kinds of information for military personnel and their families.
Operation Enduring Freedom / Operation Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF) Home
Information on benefits for newly returned veterans.
Post 9/11 G.I. Bill – Handout (PDF)
Factsheet of information about the post 9/11 G.I. Bill
Resume Engine @ Hiring Our Heroes: TRANSLATE YOUR MILITARY EXPERIENCE FOR EMPLOYERS, SO THEY CAN TRANSLATE IT INTO SUCCESS.
Links to Veterans Affairs Offices for each of the 50 states.
USO PathFinder: Resources for your transition to civilian life
United States Department of Veterans Affairs
Main site with many links, including information about Health Care, Benefits (including Education, Home Loans, Vocational Rehabilitation & Pharmacy Benefits), Business Opportunities and Partners.
Wounded Warrior Project: Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) serves veterans and service members who incurred a physical or mental injury, illness, or wound, co-incident to their military service on or after September 11, 2001 and their families.
Additional Websites for Veterans:
Home Grants or Loans for Veterans
When you search online, there are many home financing options that you can choose from. However, there are some who may not understand the requirements, especially when the information provided is focused more on technicalities than explaining things. Those in search for home loans and grants offered for veterans need to check out what’s below.
VA (Veterans Affairs) Loan
A loan from the VA is available to U.S. veterans, service members and other eligible surviving spouses. In this loan, the VA will enable a lender to provide the entire loan while they guarantee a portion of it. The requirements for this loan may be confusing for many as the process may seem to have a lot of requirements. However, to get started you need to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, that lets the lender know that you are in fact eligible for a VA backed loan.This certificate only makes a person eligible, it does not mean that you secure the loan.
What makes this a convenient option is that qualified applicants will not have to deal with a down payment as the VA does not require it. However, your capability of paying the loan will be checked to ensure that you can actually make payments for the loan.
VA Specially Adapted Housing Grant
Veterans who are facing challenges with their disabilities as a result of their military service, may need to have special accommodations or facilities in their homes. This Specially Adapted Housing Grant can be used for renovating their existing home, even if your home is still in the progress of construction. It also can be used to purchase land for the specific purposes of helping with the special accommodations that they need. Here is the VA’s Grant Fact Sheet that covers everything.
State and Local Grants
Depending on which state you live in, you might find that there are more grants that you’re eligible for. There are some states that provide down payment assistance in the form of 0% interest loans. Down payment assistance can reach $5,000, and it’s not repayable until your house is refinanced, sold, or transferred. For those considered as protectors: working in the military, police, firefighters and first responders, the amount may even rise up to $7,500.
It’s a given that veterans and even active duty military personnel are all facing troubles with how they can possibly obtain a home. With the possible financing solutions provided, you now have the opportunity to choose what financing options are available and fit your situation the best.
Websites You Should Check Out
Helpful information for more detailed information and assistance:
- Tips for Your Next PCS Move
- Military.com has a number of resources for your move
- Military One Source resources for moving
- Parent Companion resources for military moves
- Operation We Are Here military move resources
- Navy Guidelines for a Smooth Move
- Army Relocation Benefits
- Marine Corps Moving Tips
- Air Force Moving Guide
- National Guard – How to Move to Another State
- Family Legal Assistance
- Operation We Are Here: Legal Advice or Assistance – A list of resources for veterans and those in active duty who need legal help.
- GI Rights Hotline – A network of organizations providing legal counseling to military servicemembers.
- Lawyers Serving Warriors, National Veterans Legal Services Program – Pro-bono help for veterans and soldiers.
- Operation Military Embrace – Support for those who are accused of battlefield crimes.
- Protect Our Defenders – Legal assistance for servicemembers who have faced sexual violence or harassment.
Additional Resources for Disabled Veterans and Service Members
Information on Disability Compensation from the Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs
Information on Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
WORK FROM HOME
Work from home jobs:
1. Live Ops-www.liveops.com
4. Sutherland Global Services- http://www.sutherlandglobal.
5. UnitedHealth Group-https://careers.
8. U.S Department of Agriculture www.usda.gov
9. Working Solutions- http://workingsolutions.com
10. Humana- www.humana.com
11. Aetna- https://www.aetna.com/about-
12. Intuit- www.Intuit.com
13. Kaplan- kaplan.com/work-with-us/our-
14. Kelly Services- www.kellyservices.us/US/
15. Cactus Communications- https://www.flexjobs.com/jobs/
16. Westat- https://www.westat.com
17. Salesforce- www.salesforce.com/company/
18. PAREXEL- https://jobs.parexel.com
19. CyberCoders- https://www.cybercoders.com/
20. American Express- https://jobs.americanexpress.
21. Vmware- telecommuting-jobs-at-vmware
22. SAP- www.sap.com/career
23. Xerox- https://www.xerox.com/en-us/
24. First Data- https://www.firstdata.com/en_
25. US-Report- www.us-reports.com/jobs
26. Oracle- Oracle-Work.Jobsgalore.com/
27. CACI International- careers.caci.com/key/work-
28. A Place for Mom- www.aplaceformom.com/jobs
29. Anthem,Inc- careers.antheminc.com
30. DellSecureWroks- telecommuting-jobs-at-dell_
31. World Travel Holdings- www.worldtravelholdings.com/
32. ADP- www.adp.com/careers.aspx
33. Aon- telecommuting-jobs-at-aon
34. University of Maryland University College- www.umuc.edu/visitors/careers
35. Allergan Inc.- www.allergan.com/careers
36. K12- www.k12.com/careers
37. U.S. Department of Transportation- https://www.transportation.
38. CSI companies- thecsicompanies.com/candidates
39. Robert Half- www.roberthalf.com
40. Nielsen- sites.nielsen.com/careers
41. Red Hat- www.redhat.com/en/jobs
42. Adobe Systems- www.adobe.com/careers
43. Overland Solutions, Inc.- overlandsolutionsinc.com
44. BCD travel- www.bcdtravel.com/get-to-know-
45. Connections Education- www.connectionsacademy.com/
46. Deloitte- www.deloitte.com/careers
47. Apple- https://jobs.apple.com
48. Mckesson Corporation- https://careers.mckesson.com
49. Thermo Fisher Scientific- corporate.thermofisher.com/en/
50. Precyse- careers.precyse.com
51. Haynes & Company- www.haynesandcompany.com
52. Pharmaceutical Product Development Inc- www.ppdi.com/careers
53. IT Pro Philadelphia- www.phillymag.com/property/
54. Cingna- www.cigna.com/career
55. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt- careers.hmhco.com
56. Sungard Availability Services- sungardas.com
57. Infor- www.infor.com/company/careers
58. Sodexo- www.sodexousa.com/home/
59. About.com- About.com/Can I Work From Home
60. Altegra Health- altegrahealth.com/careers
61. GE- jobs.gecareers.com/
62. Western Governors University- www.wgu.edu/about_WGU/
63. Grand Canyon University- jobs.gcu.edu/admissions-
64. Walden University- https://www.waldenu.edu
65. Vivint- www.vivint.com/company/careers
66. BroadSpire- https://www.choosebroadspire.
67. Covance- careers.covance.com
68. Ellucian- www.ellucian.com
69. HD Supply- hdsupply.jobs
70. Perficient Inc.- www.perficient.com
71. Teradata- https://www.teradata.com
72. Wells Fargo- https://www.wellsfargo.com/
73. Symantec Corporation- www.Symantec.com
74. Real Staffing-www.realstaffing.com/
75. Science Applications International- www.saic.com
76. AmerisourceBergen Company- www.amerisourcebergen.com
77. Appen- www.jobs.net/jobs/appen/en-us
78. Hartford Financial Services Group- https://www.thehartfordatwork.
79. RetailDatat- retaildatallc.com
80. SYKES- www.sykes.com/Careers
81. CARA- www.jobbankusa.com
82. Citizens Financial Group- citizensbank.jobs/work-at-home