The following websites and books provide helpful information to veterans.
Books @ Herrin City Library
Assistive Technology for Injured Military Veterans This guide offers a comprehensive overview of the most common disabilities that military personnel acquire, and offers ideas and available resources for modifications and adaptive technology equipment that can help them adjust and reestablish their home life, career, and future. This guide also provides information on available financial assistance, and additional resources for service members and their families.
DVA Handbook of Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents (PDF)
This is a handbook of information on veteran’s benefits, including healthcare, pensions, life insurance and education and training.
Helmets to Hard Hats:connects quality men and women from the Armed Forces with promising building and construction careers.
Hiring Our Heroes: a nationwide initiative to help veterans, transitioning service members, and military spouses find meaningful employment opportunities.
All kinds of information for military personnel and their families.
Operation Enduring Freedom / Operation Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF) Home
Information on benefits for newly returned veterans.
Post 9/11 G.I. Bill – Handout (PDF)
Factsheet of information about the post 9/11 G.I. Bill
Resume Engine @ Hiring Our Heroes: TRANSLATE YOUR MILITARY EXPERIENCE FOR EMPLOYERS, SO THEY CAN TRANSLATE IT INTO SUCCESS.
Links to Veterans Affairs Offices for each of the 50 states.
USO PathFinder: Resources for your transition to civilian life
United States Department of Veterans Affairs
Main site with many links, including information about Health Care, Benefits (including Education, Home Loans, Vocational Rehabilitation & Pharmacy Benefits), Business Opportunities and Partners.
Wounded Warrior Project: Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) serves veterans and service members who incurred a physical or mental injury, illness, or wound, co-incident to their military service on or after September 11, 2001 and their families.
More Website For Veterans:
- Tips for Your Next PCS Move
- Military.com has a number of resources for your move
- Military One Source resources for moving
- Parent Companion resources for military moves
- Operation We Are Here military move resources
- Navy Guidelines for a Smooth Move
- Army Relocation Benefits
- Marine Corps Moving Tips
- Air Force Moving Guide
- National Guard – How to Move to Another State
- Family Legal Assistance
- Operation We Are Here: Legal Advice or Assistance – A list of resources for veterans and those in active duty who need legal help.
- GI Rights Hotline – A network of organizations providing legal counseling to military servicemembers.
- Lawyers Serving Warriors, National Veterans Legal Services Program – Pro-bono help for veterans and soldiers.
- Operation Military Embrace – Support for those who are accused of battlefield crimes.
- Protect Our Defenders – Legal assistance for servicemembers who have faced sexual violence or harassment.
Additional Resources for Disabled Veterans and Service Members
Information on Disability Compensation from the Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs
Information on Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs