HERRIN CITY LIBRARY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
14th November 2017Agenda
- Call to Order at 6:30 pm
Roll Call of Trustees (Present and Absent)
Audience to Visitors
- Visitor- Melissa Frankel
2. Secretary’s Report
- Reading & Approval of the Minutes for 10th October 2017 Meeting
3. Treasurer’s Report
A.Review & Approval of the Bills to be paid in November 2017
B. October 2017 City Budget Report for the Library
C. Financial Balance Statement for November 2017
4. Librarians’ Report for October 2017
A. Library Directors Reports – Susan Mullen
B. Children’s Librarian Report – Allison Albert
5. Illinois Heartland Library System Report & Illinois Library Association (ILA) news
A. Status updates
6. Committee Reports
A. Building & Grounds – Sue Tresnak
B. Community Enrichment – Barbara Guebert
C.Library Development & Technology – Mandara Savage
D. Special Gifts Committee – Paula Siefert
E. Friends Liaison – James Starnes
- Herrin History Room –
7. Old Business
A. Selection Policy – To Approve
B. Security & Cameras – Update
8. New Business
A. Building Maintenance Tax & Property Tax – To Approve
B. Holiday Schedule 2018 – To Approve
C. Board Terms 2018 – Update
D. Trustee Nominations
E. Library Part-Time Job Circulation Assistant Vacancy – To Approve Salary
F. Christmas Party
- Closed Executive Session (if necessary)
Next Meeting Date = 12th December 2017– 6:30pm
HERRIN CITY LIBRARY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING – Minutes
November 14, 2017
PRESENT: Guebert, Tresnak, Frost, Hickman, Savage, and Starnes
ALSO PRESENT: Mullen
ABSENT: Muckley, Siefert and Priest
The meeting was called to order at 6:30 PM by President Savage.
Visitors: Mrs. Melissa Frankel, a teacher at Herrin High School and the faculty sponsor of the Future Business Leaders of America, visited the board meeting tonight. She was accompanied by HHS students: Madison Cerutti, Kaiyah King, and Josh Green. The students presented their plans for a project to honor the memory of Roxy Pullum. Roxy was a young Herrin girl who recently lost her long battle with cancer. The students presented their plan to provide the Herrin City Library with a bookcase filled with many of Roxy’s favorite books. The students also explained that the FBLA has planned an event to raise funds for their project. HCL board members expressed their gratitude and offered their encouragement to the students. Mullen said that the library will put a memorial sticker in the front of each book. Mullen will coordinate with the students and Mrs. Frankel during the process.
SECRETARY’S REPORT: Starnes moved to approve the minutes from the October meeting. Tresnak seconded. Motion carried.
- Bills to be paid. Tresnak moved to approve the payment of $4615.58 for expenses incurred during the 2nd half of October 2017 and approved $3640.57 for expenses this month to date. Starnes seconded. Motion carried.
- October (50% of the year completed) shows that 48% of the expense budget has been used leaving a checking account balance of $220,801.52. Guebert moved to approve the report. Hickam seconded. Motion carried.
- Financial Balance Statement: Starnes moved to approve the library balance sheet report for October 2017. Guebert seconded. Motion carried.
LIBRARIAN’S REPORT: Mullen presented report. Circulation for October 2017 was up slightly compared to October 2016. Other statistics were reviewed.
CHILDREN’S LIBRARIAN REPORT: No report.
ILLINOIS HEARTLAND LIBRARY SYSTEM REPORT & ILA News: No report. Mullen noted that the library is still waiting on the 2017 per capita grant funds.
Building and Grounds (Tresnak): No report.
Community Enrichment (Guebert): No report.
Library Development & Technology (Savage): No report.
Special Gifts Committee (Siefert): NA
Friends Liaison (Starnes): Starnes reported that the next Friends meeting will be in February 2018.
History Room: (Carnaghi): -No report.
- Library Selection Policy: Mullen presented a draft policy. The board will act upon it at the December meeting.
- Security and Camera Update: Mullen is gathering information from multiple sources in regards to updating the library’s security and camera systems.
- The board has received and accepted the resignation of board member Shirley Muckley.
- Building Maintenance Tax: Frost moved to approve the letter prepared by Mullen to the Herrin City Hall requesting the annual renewal of the Building Maintenance Tax Levy. Tresnak seconded. Motion carried.
- Property Tax: Starnes moved to approve the letter prepared by Mullen to Herrin City Hall regarding the Herrin City Library’s Property Tax levies for 2017. Tresnak seconded. Motion carried.
- Holiday schedule Frost moved to approve the 2018 holiday schedule presented by Mullen. Tresnak seconded. Motion carried.
Starnes moved for adjournment. Meeting adjourned at 7:59 PM.
Barbara A. Guebert, Secretary